Eve Surname Pages|
USA STATES - "V"
Strand 1 - Tree of Joseph Eve
The earliest EVE listing for this state is Joseph Eve who was transported from Great Britian to the USA in 1732.
The tree of Joseph Eve can be accessed by clicking the following link.
Tree of Joseph Eve
The family of Joseph Eve also have links to the following states
There are a number of EVE's who have links with Virginia who I have not been able to link with the above tree. Can you help?
1 George W Eve
George W Eve was born in Virginia in 1802. He died in 1875 in Fredericksburg.
He married twice
- First to Elizabeth Sanger on the 25th November 1828 in Fredericksburg. She died Aug 1855 aged 48.
- Second to Martha Street. The marriage was reported in the Virginia Herald on the 25th Dec 1858. She died on the 8th Dec 1883
He had the following children.
- Isaac Newton Eve (2) - born 1830. He died on the 26th Nov 1874.
- Edwin Dorsey Eve (3) - born 1835. He died 8th Jun 1894.
- Rebecca Eve - born 1834. Rebecca married Richard Snyder on the 3rd June 1854. They later moved to Madison in Henricounty County VA. Richard Snyde was a coach body maker.
- Emilie B Eve - born 1837.Emilie married Alfred Carpenter 3 Jun 1854. He was a Master Sadler. They had at least two children - William P and Eugene It is likely that Alfred Carpenter was employed by Emilie's father.
- Charles W Eve (4) - born 1840. He later moved to Washington DC.
- M A Eve (female) - born 1845.
George W Eve was a saddler who also appears to have been fairly active in local politics. He appears in nunerous local newspaper articles advertising his shop together with articles on his political activities.
George W Eve appears extensively in census and newspaper listings from 1830 to 1875 (the date of his death)
- George W Eve - Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County VA.
Page number 110. The listings shows
- 1 white male aged between 5 and under 10 years
- 2 males between 15 and under 20
- 1 female between 20 and under 30
- 2 male slaves aged between 10 and under 24.
- George W Eve - Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County VA. Page number 120. The listing show 12 in the family;
- 1 make aged 30 to 40
- 3 males aged 15 to 20
- 2 males aged 5 to 10
- 1 male aged under 5
- 1 female aged 70 to 80
- 1 female aged 30 to 40
- 1 female aged 10 to 15
- 2 females under 5
- plus 2 female slaves
- George W Eve - Fredericksburg Town, Spotsylvania County VA. Page number 345. The listing shows - George W Eve age 45 (born 1805) - Saddler b Virginia.
- Elizabeth P Eve - age 43 (born 1807
- Isaac Newton Eve age 20 (born 1830) - Saddler
- Edwin Dorsey Eve age 15 (male born 1835) - Saddler,
- Rebecca Eve age 16 (female born 1834)
- Emilie B Eve age 13 (female born 1837)
- Charles W Eve 10 (b 1840)
- M A Eve 5 (female b 1845)
- Elizabeth Eve 16 (b 1834 - mixed race)
- ? Eve 1 month (b 1850).
- George W Eve - Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County VA. Page number 294, index number VA39967495. The listing shows Eve, George W. aged 51 Master Saddler born Virginia
- Martha W Eve - aged 40 born Virginia
- Malinda Street - aged 60 born Virginia.
- George W Eve - Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County VA. Page number 358. the listing shows - George W Eve age 62. He is listed as a harness maker
- Martha Eve - age 48
- Malinda Street - age 70
Insurance Policy Records
- George W Eve - E Side Carolina between Hanover and Charlotte Street. Renewal Policy 3708 - value $2500. For store and dwelling ? storey brick & slate roof
- George W Eve - E Side Carolina between Hanover and Charlotte Street. Renewal policy 9341 - value $4000, store & dwelling 3 storey brick & slate roof + wing/kitchen 1 storey brick & slate
There are extensive records of George W Eve's life in local newspaper articles
- Saddler advertisement 24 Feb 1829 3x2
- Moved Saddlery shop 8 Oct 1830 3x1
- Rented Shop To Tailor 13 Oct 1830 3x1
- Moved Store 23 Oct 1830 3x2
- Detailed merchant advertisement 16 Mar 1832 3x2
- Harnessmaker Wanted 18 Jul 1832 3x3
- Saddler (Illustrated Ad) 15 Feb 1834 3x4
- Member Mechanics Association 27 Mar 1835 2x6
- Elected town councilman 22 Mar 1836 3x2
- Town council candidate 23 Feb 1836 2x6
- Elected Councilman 23 Mar 1836 3x3
- Illustrated Saddler Advert. 30 Apr 1836 3x4
- Member Mechanics Association 15 Jan 1836 2x5
- Member Mechanics Association 17 Jan 1837 2x5
- Member Foreign Trade committee 12 Jun 1838 2x6
- Moved shop 12 Jun 1840 3x2
- Court case 25 Nov 1847 3x1
- Railroad committeeman 30 Dec 1847 3x1
- Smith Burial Committee 31 Mar 1848 2x6
- Moved shop 2 Nov 1849 3x2
- Moved store 4 Oct 1852 3x1
- Elected councilman 19 Mar 1852 2x2
- Elected to Council 26 Mar 1853 12
- Committee assignment for Council 7 May 1853 18
- Resigned from Council 11 Jun 1853 23
- Emilie Eve married Alfred Carpenter 3 Jun 1854 22
- Elected to Council 25 Mar 1854 12
- Home was site of double wedding 3 Jun 1854 22
- Improvement Convention delegate 19 Aug 1854 33
- Rebecca Eve married to Richard Snyder 3 Jun 1854 22
- Town Political Candidate 22 Mar 1855 2x3
- Award at fair for buggy 14 Nov 1857 46
- Eve and Carpenter fair exhibit saddles and harness 7 Nov 1857 45
- Fair award 20 Nov 1858 2x?
- Delegate to Democrat Convention 6 Nov 1858 2x4
- Married M. Street 31 Dec 1858 2x6
- Married Martha. Street 25 Dec 1858 3x1
- Eve and Company Harness at Fair 12 Nov 1859 351
- Eve & Company Saddle and Harness Establishment 5 Feb 1859
- Public meeting 18 Dec 1860 2x2
- Elected overseer of the poor 7 Apr 1860 14
- Attended political meeting 22 Dec 1860 50
- Election official 4 Jul 1865 2x6
- Political candidate 21 Jul 1865 2x3
- Wenonah passenger 31 May 1865 2x2
- Fireman 12 Dec 1865
- Tax 17 Aug 1865
- Politics 17 Jul 1865
- Leather Goods 18 Jul 1867 2x6
- Appointed Councilman 16 Apr 1868 3x2
- Courthouse Repair Committee 20 Oct 1870 2x6
- City Official 30 May 1870 3x1
- Moved Saddle Store 1 May 1871 2x6
- Eve Elizabeth daughter died 24 May 1872
- Eve George W. daughter died 24 May 1872
- Meeting 28 Jun 1872
- Biog. Note 4 Dec 1873 3x4
- Eve George W. son died 26 Nov 1874 3x4
- Eve George E. Dying 28 Jan 1875 3x1
- Eve George W. obituary 1 Feb 1875 3x4
- Eve M. M. (Mrs. George W.) died 8 Dec 1883 3x3
2 Isaac Newton Eve
Isaac Newton Eve was born in 1830 in Fredericksburg. He died on the 26th Nov 1874.
The are no records of whether he married or had children.
- Isaac Newton Eve - Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County VA. Page number 287. He is listed as being 28 years old and a saddle maker born in Virginia.
Isaac may have moved to Mississippi.
- Isaac N Eve - East Ward Grenada, Grenada County MS. Page number 202, index number MS31069086.
Isaac N Eve was a member of Co. A. 30th Regiment,Virginia Infantry.
3 Edwin Dorsey Eve
Edwin Dorsey Eve was born in 1835 in Fredericksburg. He died on the 8th June 1894.
The are no records of whether he married or had children.
- Dorsey Eve - Madison, Caroline County VA. Page number 300. The listing shows Dorsey Eve age 36 a harness maker born Virginia. He is at the home of William Smith age 57, a farmer.
In 1880 Dorsey Eve was living in Cumberland working as a newspaper editor. See Link to Maryland pages below;
Like his father details of Edwin Dorsey Eve's life is recorded local newspaper articles.
- At Citizens Meeting 12 Mar 1859 316
- Politics 2 Jun 1874 3x2
- Political Candidate 1 Jun 1874 3x2
- Entertainment 15 Oct 1877 3x3
- Entertained 17 Oct 1877 3x1
- Biographical note 6 Oct 1877 3x2
- Cumberland Telephone Co. 19 Apr 1882 3x2
- Died 8 Jun 1894
4 Charles W Eve
Charles W Eve was born in 1840.
He married before 1871. The name of his wife in unknown except she was born in Tennessee. They had three children;
- Raleigh Eve (5) - born 1871 in North Carolina
- Paul R Eve -
- Grave Eve -
In about 1870 Charles W Eve was in Asheville, North Carolina. See reference below; JOHN P. KERR'S RECOLLECTIONS. In a letter dated June 11, 1912, Col. John P. Kerr, a veteran newspaper man, and now private secretary to Gov. Craig, wrote as follows:
"The first newspaper published in Asheville within my recollection was the News and Farmer. I am sure that this was the successor of the News, which had been printed by Rev. Thomas (?) Atkins, a Methodist preacher, subsequent to and perhaps during the war. R. M. Stokes was the editor of the News and Farmer, as I recollect, in 1868-1869. The printing office was in the building now known as the 'Hub,' N. W. Pack Square and N. Main street. It was up stairs. Stokes subs"- quently moved his paper to Union, S.C. The Pioneer, a weekly Republican paper, was also being published in Asheville in l868-1869. I began my apprenticeship as a printer on this paper. It was at this time edited by A. H. Dowell, with C. W. Eve as local editor. This paper was founded, I think, by A. H. Jones who represented this district in Congress at this time. The office was on the third story of the Patton Building, corner S. Main and S. E. Pack Square. Newspaper Articles
- Eve C. W. son of G. W. in North Carolina - 11 Jun 1877 3x6
- Eve Charles W. political office 13 Jun 1877 3x1
- Eve Charles W. former resident now in D. C. 27 Feb 1891
Directories - District of Columbia
Charles W Eve who is listed in two directories in 1890 & 1891 as being a printer in Washington.
- Charles W Eve - printer 514 D Northeast, District of Columbia DC 1890.
- Charles W Eve - printer - 120 Mass Avenue, Northeast, District of Columbia DC 1891.
5 Raleigh Eve
Raleigh Eve was born in 1871 in North Carolina. He died in 1958 in Tifton, Georgia. He moved to Tifton in 1896 and passed the bar exams to become a lawyer in 1901. He later became a judge. He married and had one child. He married Jewell S Eve who died who was born in 1885. She died in Tift County on the 27th Jan 1969 age 84 years.
In the 1920 census he is listed as living in Tifton, Tift County, Georgia. He is listed as 48 years old born in North Carolina. He was a judge. Also listed are;
- Robert Worth Eve - born 1917, Georgia. He died in Tift County on the 13th June 1996 age 78 years.
In the 1930 census he is listed as living in Tifton, Tift County, Georgia. He is listed as 58 years old born in North Carolina. He was a judge. Also listed are;
- Jewell S Eve - wife, age 36
- Robert Eve - son, age 2
- Jewell S Eve - wife, age 45
- Robert W Eve - son, age 12
Details of Raleigh Eve's life appear in an article in the Augusta Chronicle dated 15th September 1958. See link below.
Joseph Eve was born in about 1804. He is listed in the 1840 & 1850 census as a resident of Augusta County, VA.
- Joseph Eve - Augusta County VA. Page number 14. The listing shows a household of 5;
- 1 male aged 30 to 40
- 2 males age 5 to 10
- 1 female age 20 to 30
- 1 female age 5 to 10
- Joseph Eve - Augusta County VA. page number 400. The listing show the following all born in Virginia.
- Joseph Eve, age 46 (born 1804), Waggonmaker
- Lucinda Eve age 35 (born 1815)
- George Eve age 21 (born 1829)
- Margaret Eve age 16 (born 1834)
- John Eve age 14 (born 1836)
- Benjamin Eve age 9 (born 1841)
Nb there are no census records after this date.
- William Eve - Louisa County VA. Page number 46. The census listing shows 7 free coloured persons.
- 2 males between 10 and 24
- 1 male aged 36 - 55
- 2 females under 5
- 1 female between 10 and 24
- 1 female aged 24 to 36
- William Eve - Louisa County VA. Page number 252, index number VAS4a854591. Nb there is a reference to a William (Billy) Eve in the archives of the Louisa County Historical Society Volume 26, Number 1 Spring 1995 (Pages 1 to 56). The listing shows 3 in the family plus 1 female slave aged between 25 and 55.
- 1 free coloured male age 55 +
- 1 free coloured female age 10 to 24
- 1 free coloured female age under 10
- Ann Eve - Charleston, Kanawha County VA. page number 8. Listing shows Ann Eve age 60 (born 1790 Virginia).
- Elizabeth Eve - Fredericks Hall, Louisa County VA. page number 798. The listing shows Elizabeth Eve age 31 of mixed race together with the following - all born Louisa County.
- Mary Eve - age 10
- Sally Eve - age 7
- Lucy Eve - age 5
- Willie Eve - age 3
- Julianna Eve - age 10 months
- Sarah Eve - Fredericks Hall, Louisa County VA. page number 798. The listing shows Sarah Eve age 30 of mixed race together with the following - all born Louisa County.
- Lousia A Eve - age 10
- Thomas Eve - age 6
- J E Eve - Fredericksville, Albemarle County VA. Page number 314. The listing shows J E Eve age 21 at college. He was born in Georgia.
- W F Eve - Fredericksville, Albemarle County VA. Page number 314. The listing shows W F Eve age 19 at college. He was born in Georgia. See note on library records below.
- Levi Eve - Davis Township, Shenandoah County VA page number 667. The listing shows Levi eve aged 9 born Virginia living at the home of Alfred Barb? a farmer.
- Philip Henry Eve : Biographical Sketch In: Glass, Robert Camillus. Virginia Democracy. Springfield, IL. v.2 (1937), p.446-448.Philip Henry Eve b.1891.
- William Frederick Eve : Biographical Sketch In: Barringer, Paul Brandon. University of Virginia. New York, NY. v.1 (1904), p.486-488. Subjects Eve, William Frederick Eve b.1851.
Social Security Death Records
- Catherine Eve - Born 23 Apr 1927. Died Dec 1978. Lived in Petersburg City, VA .
- Elizabeth Eve - Born 15 Mar 1888. Died Dec 1972. Lived in Staunton, Staunton City, VA. There may be links with NY.
- Ida Eve - 27 Mar 1941. Died 25 Feb 1999. Lived in Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach City, VA. There may be links with NY.
There are the following current listings.
- RICHMOND VA x 2
- ALEXANDRIA VA
- ARLINGTON VA
- NEWPORT NEWS VA